[Avodah] Kabbalah's Legitimacy

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 02:36:08 PST 2008

> > I don't know why no one else responded to you, but I
> > would find it difficult to reply to someone who states "*I*
> > disagree" with the Rambam, RSRH et al.

Of course, who I am to disagree with either one. Rav Hirsch on the
issue of astrology and magic and such, asks who is giant enough to
presume to decide between Rambam and Ramban whether these are shtiot
or are real. (As an aside, he says either way, there's no difference,
because it's assur to do.)

I recall an earlier thread on this topic, I forget where, about
whether a person should choose a shita or just know what's out there.

A rabbi of mine gave a mini-shiur on this, in which he said that on
the one hand, Torah is something to be lived, not merely theoretically
known. So it isn't enough to simply know the shitot out there; in the
end of the day, you have to hold by *something*.

On the other hand, who are we to do this?!

My rabbi seemed to imply a  50-50 split to these two aspects. In all
deference to this rabbi of mine, I'm going to have to disagree, and
make it something like 75-25. For I would say, learn the available
shitot as best you can, and don't give short shrift to any one of
them, and once that's done, choose a personal shita for yourself. For
I would put especial emphasis on the aspect that one cannot live
without some personal shita; at least for myself, I cannot live this
way without in the end being able to confidently say what I live by.

So b'vadai I need to learn the available shitot, and not give any of
them short shrift. And I need to be aware of how little I know, so
that I'll have an open mind and not be too arrogant or stubborn in my
positions. But in the end, I need to hold by something.

I think I also have Rabbi Moshe Shmuel Glasner's and Rabbi Berkovits's
audacity. Both of them were extremely provocative, and didn't hesitate
to disagree with everyone else, in harsh terms even. Elsewhere on
Avodah, it was noted that Rabbi Berkovits made a particularly harsh
statement regarding Rabbi Moshe Feinstein's gadlut. Now, what I lack
of course, is RMSG and REBs' Torah knowledge, which of course is
liable to make my audacity and brazeness rather misplaced. This is a
kashya ;)

>  While I find it difficult to reply to one who 'disagrees' with
> the Ari ZT'L.
> Moshe Shulman

1) The whole point of this thread of mine is to explore how out of the
norm I am for saying this. So you're begging the question. I know I'm
out of the norm; the question is, does anyone else legitimate possibly
corroborate me? (I know that Rabbi Kanievsky pronounced apikorsut on
the elder Rabbi Kapach who founded the Dor Daim, so perhaps my
appealing to the Dor Daim for support is not so helpful for me.)
2) Rabbi Danziger, according to R' Eidensohn in the Avodah post linked
above, says Rav Hirsch rejected post-Geonic Kabbalah, which certainly
includes the Ari (presumably, he considered the Zohar Tannaitic). So
apparently, if I reject the Ari, I'm merely following Rav Hirsch l'fi
Rabbi Danziger.

Mikha'el Makovi