[Avodah] Hot Cheese for Shabbat Lunch

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sat Feb 16 17:11:20 PST 2008

(Note: This post focuses on meat and simcha. For those who consider simcha and oneg differently, please consider this post only in a Yom Tov context, not Shabbos.)

R"n Toby Katz wrote:
> /Maybe/ you could get away with something very chashuv --
> salmon and brie? -- but really it should be basar vedagim
> vechol mat'amim.

I responded:
> Sources, please? (Other posters have already pointed out
> that we don't pasken from zemiros.)

Over Shabbos, I realized that I was not clear here.

I do acknowledge that many writers over the ages have written positively about having meat on Shabbos and Yom Tov. But it is not clear to me whether they mean that the halacha objectively requires us to eat meat, or whether they are simply speaking subjectively, that they have personally found meat to be a food which is enjoyable and enhances their meal.

Some poskim write that "Ayn simcha elah b'basar" refers specifically to Basar Shelamim. I am confident that these poskim can point to specific pesukim which define this objectively. (Probably "v'samachta b'chagecha", but I'm not sure.) But my understanding is that we don't pasken this way, and Basar Shelamim is obviously not an option for us anyway.

Others hold that "Ayn simcha elah b'basar" refers even to Basar Taavah, but I do not know if they can prove this with any pasuk, and I suppose that this is what this whole discussion boils down to: Do these poskim have some sort of limud to prove this prescription, or is merely a personal observation and suggestion on how to accomplish simcha without shelamim?

After writing and rereading all the above, I realized that If I'd post it as is, I'd be guilty of a pet peeve I have about many other posts: Namely, posters whoh quote a certain source without actually bothering to check that source. So I looked up "V'samachta b'chagecha" in the Torah Temimah, and was pretty surprised by what I found. Check it out in Devarim 16, pasuk 14, se'if 63. He seems to hold that the pasuk does indeed prescribe meat for simcha even nowadays. I stand corrected.

But even according to that, I do not see that every single meal on Yom Tov would have to be fleishig, but that once during the course of the holiday ought to be enough.

Akiva Miller