[Avodah] Baruch Shelo Asani Eved

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Feb 14 12:48:07 PST 2008

From: R' Akiva Miller

>>The bracha must refer to an Eved  Kenaani. The proof is in the text of the
bracha itself -- "He did not make me a  slave" -- which refers to the status I
had when I was made.

NO ONE comes  into this world as an Eved Ivri. A Jew can be born free, and
then get sold into  being an Eved Ivri, but he is never a slave from the
beginning.<<

Does "made me" necessarily mean "from birth"?  If a person becomes  blind or
ill or poor or whatever, some time after his birth, does he not say,  "Hashem
made me this way"?  Anyway it is possible for a Jew to actually be  born into
a condition of slavery -- like the babies born in Egypt.

A related question.  Does a ger make a bracha, "shelo asani  goy"?  According
to you, if he was born a goy, he shouldn't say this  bracha.  It seems to me
that since Hashem made him a Jew, via the  proper procedure, he can now say
the bracha "shelo asani goy."  But I don't  know the actual psak here, I never
before thought to ask.

--Toby  Katz

Awards. Go to AOL Music.