[Avodah] Does God Change His mind?

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Mon Feb 11 18:50:22 PST 2008

M.M. wrote:
That's why I said that He does change with respect to us.
Let me make a comparison to calculus: If I have y = x^2 (squared),
then the equation does not change. It is constantly y=x^2. BUT, at any
given point, the rate of change of y changes. dy = d(x^2)dx --> dy =
2x. The rate of change at any given point is double what x is at that
point.

The above analogy does not hold. M.M. implies the rate of change is
dependent on X.
The rate of change is NOT dependent on X. How do you know that your
calculus equation shouldn't be y=2x and therefore dy/dx is equal to 2
which is a constant?  2x is a constant change and y=x2 does not have a
constant change.

Also, differential calculus which is the study of how functions change
when their inputs change, has as its primary object of study the
derivative. From a theological analogy, one could say that God is the
Primary derivative, so giving the above example stating that God does
change with respect to us, is meaningless and strictly subjective and
doesn't prove a thing.
Everything you're trying to attribute to God comes from the need to
relate the infinite to the finite. It just won't work. It's like one
tree trying to explain to another tree how other forms of life can
exist without being attached to the ground.

Kol tuv/Best regards.
ri