[Avodah] Shiluach Haken

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 09:23:36 PST 2008

> Moshe Shulman
>
> One was that the Zohar says that performing this mitzvah is
> makarav Moshiach. He said the explanation is that when a
> Jew performs the mitzvah The Satan comes and complains to > HaShem that it is cruel. But rather then angering HaShem at > the Yidden, he is angry at the Satan and complains that for
> this bird you have mercy but for my children who are in exile
> and suffer, you have no mercy?

So maybe Satan will answer that he has no mercy for us because we are
cruel to poor little defenseless birds?

But also, this explanation of the Zohar begs the following question:
maybe it truly is that sending away the bird brings reproof onto Satan
as described. But does this make it a mitzvah to send away the bird?
Maybe the mitzvah is only to do it when you davka want the mother's
eggs, and if you don't want the eggs, then sending the mother away
brings reproof on Satan but still is not the actual mitzvah of
shiluach haken. Just because there's a good reason to send away this
particular mother bird doesn't necessarily make it shiluach haken.

And besides, even if it does bring reproof on Satan, maybe Hashem will
also reprove us for hurting a poor defenseless mother bird for no
reason. Just because Satan's reproof doesn't work, doesn't mean that
Hashem can't reprove us Himself.

Mikha'el Makovi