[Avodah] Ramp On!

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Feb 5 12:07:23 PST 2008

RMB wrote:

>>All human beings are finite. Some may be  limited in more obvious ways,
or even more limited than others, but that's a  matter of degree not
kind.

RSRH is saying, kedarko beqodesh, that  someone who is blatantly
handicapped, or perhaps only someone who is  distractingly handicapped,
is a symbol of inferior avodah. Kayin's qorban of  reject vegetables
rather than Hevel's offering of his finest.

HOWEVER,  this just begs the question.

Why not allow the handicapped kohein serve,  and use it as an
opportunity to teach the idea that we are all limited,  finite, and
thus puny in comparison to the task of avodas Hashem. That we all  have
a role to play WRT that which we do bring to the table.

The fact  is that HQBH didn't choose to symbolize this message, but
rather bowed to the  least common denominator of people's perceptions
of the handicapped. And so,  I repeat, that it is not obvious why.<<

Micha  Berger

It is strange that you say HKBH "bowed to people's perceptions" -- as if He
was forced, like a modern-day politician, to go along with the prejudices of
the  people.  Did He also "bow" to unenlightened public opinion when He
excluded  women and people over the age of fifty from the Avodah? (Not to mention
eleven tribes and gerim, too.)

Was He sexist, age-ist and racist as well as handicap-ist?

You want to know "Why not allow the handicapped kohein serve, and use it as
an opportunity to teach the idea that we are all limited, finite, and thus
puny  in comparison to the task of avodas Hashem."

Yup, HKBH missed an opportunity all right.  Just think what He could  have
accomplished if He had just allowed handicapped kohenim to serve (and women  and
old folks).

Or maybe there is a different message there, that you are  missing?

And that is, every one of us has a mission to perform on this earth -- but
we don't all have the SAME mission.  Maybe a woman, an elder -- and yes, a
handicapped person -- was put on earth to fulfill some OTHER mission that Hashem
had in mind, besides the Avodah.

Why assume that everyone is fit to do every job?  That is a modern-day  PC
prejudice of its own -- the assumption that everyone can do anything.   Would
you want to see handicapped people in the army?  Blind men leading  troops into
battle, with seeing-eye dogs?  Women in the NBA ?   Elderly quarterbacks
playing in the Super Bowl?  Old ladies as  cheerleaders?  Rockettes at Radio City
doing their kicks in  wheelchairs?

The Torah is full of exhortations to protect the rights and  the feelings of
the weak and the vulnerable -- the poor, widows, orphans,  converts.  The
Torah does provide for handicapped kohanim (not to mention  kohanim who have "aged
out" of service -- over age 50).  And the wives and  daughters of kohanim.
All of the above share in the matnos kehunah and eat  the same food as the
kohanim who are in full service.

So what is the purpose of a handicapped kohen, if he can't run up the ramp
and can't bring korbanos?  Well, he could be a talmid chacham and teach
others.  He could be a teacher, a guide, a wise counselor.  Or he  could do some
other job -- he could tend the private vegetable gardens in the  cities of the
Levi'im. He could be a wonderful father to some young newborn  kohanim!  There
are lots of things he could do.

I once wrote before that the major ideas of both major factions in  America
--  the liberals and the conservatives -- derive from the  Torah.  The idea of
hierarchy derives from Torah -- some can serve in the  BHM'K while others
cannot, the melech can do things that commoners cannot, and  so on.  But the idea
of equality also derives from the Torah -- not to  favor the wealthy in a
court case, not to oppress the poor and the widow, etc  etc.  (BTW I can't find
this post of mine in the archives, if  anyone can remember what the thread was
and help me find it, I would be very  grateful.)

A ba'al mum can't do the Avodah but if he is a talmid chacham, he must be
treated with the greatest respect and honor.  I am not absolutely certain  what
the Torah's message is, but it seems to me that at least one message is  --
for a handicapped person (or another disqualified person, such as a  Yisrael,
old man, ger or woman) -- that one should not pine for the other guy's  tafkid
but should strive to fulfill his own tafkid in this world,  to the best of his
ability.

--Toby Katz
Romney -- good  values, good family, good hair
Best hope against  Hillary

48)