[Avodah] planting during shmitta permitted

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jan 31 13:26:10 PST 2008

On Sun, January 27, 2008 3:10 pm, R Arie Folger wrote:
:> This article states that Rav Avraham Yosef, the head of the
:> rabbinate
:> shmitta committee, permitted planting (al y'dei goy) in some of the
:> areas which were heavily damaged in last week's frost. If this land
:> is under the heter mikhira (HM), why is a special heter needed? If
:> the land is under the ozer beit din, is this throwing issurim out
:> the window without even a HM to be somekh on?

: Sefardim hold by the BY's opinion that shemittah nowadays is rabbinic.
: Hence we have a shvut deshvut bishe'at hade'haq.

I was prepared to post that this was an example of non-algorithmic
pesaq. One could not accept heter mechirah as a heter, but still give
it non-zero significance. IOW, consider it a senif lehaqeil in a more
complex case that involves weighing in other factors.

I think RAF reinforces that point.

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,