[Avodah] assisted suicide

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sat Jan 26 17:35:06 PST 2008

Stadlan, Noam wrote:

> On the discussion of extension of 'natural life', one has a basic
> obligation to take care of one's body-shemor nafshecha me'od, and
> that usually is accepted to include not only staying away from
> harmful things(smoking), but also being proactive in taking care
> of your body.

What source is there for this proposition?  AFAIK all the examples
given for this drash on "ushmor nafshecha me'od" are about taking
risks of immediate death.  I don't know where people derive an issur
on smoking, which merely increases the likelihood of a life-shortening
illness at some future time, let alone a positive chiyuv to do things
that increase the likelihood of a longer life.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.