[Avodah] "Zeh Keli v'anveihu Elokei avi va'arom'menhu"

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Tue Jan 22 16:20:43 PST 2008

In Avodah Digest V25#31, CRW wrote:
> The first half of the verse uses the name Keil, while the second half
uses Elokim. Rav Kook explained the Song
refers to two types of love for God....A second, higher form
of love for God is acquired through thoughtful contemplation of God's rule
of the universe. This love corresponds to the name Elokim - in the plural -
referring to the myriad causes and forces that God utilizes to govern the
universe.
> I see it as the first half of the verse "Keil" (singular) referring to
God as the personal God (how each one of us perceive God). The second half
"Elokei" (plural) refers to how our parents perceived God. Each generation
must find God for itself. <
Eloqim is a plural form, but "avi" is singular and thus b'pashtus can't
refer to "our parents," else the word in the Torah should have been
"avosai."

All the best from
--Michael Poppers via RIM pager