[Avodah] FW: chemotherapy

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jan 15 13:56:32 PST 2008

What are the cases we have for eis la'asos Lashem and hora'as sha'ah?

The last few times around I asked if there is a case of eis la'asos
Lashem involving a real issur and no nevu'ah.

The textbook cases are Eliyahu behar haKarmel, the writing of TSBP,
and teaching women Torah. The first involves a navi, and the other two
violate things that aren't actually called "assur". "Ee ata resha'i
le'omram ba'al peh." "Ke'ilu lomdah tiflus."

Hora'as sha'ah, OTOH, is defined in Hil' Mamrim 2:4 as the principle
of la'aqor davar min haTorah besheiv ve'al ta'aseh -- which is limited
to sheiv ve'al ta'aseh, the gezeirah being to protect something more
chamur, etc...

They therefore seem entirely different things. ELL is a protection of
Torah observance as a whole through a nevu'ah allowing a one-time
event or doing something suboptimal -- that might not even be
technically assur. HS is protection of one din (eg Shabbos) at the
expense of not doing another (eg Shofar).

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,