[Avodah] "Blei Gissen" should we believe in this?

david guttmann david.guttman at verizon.net
Thu Jan 10 04:06:06 PST 2008

RDWells wrote on Areivim:
: But is Torah itself in all its many facets completely rational?
: If it was, then homo sapiens would have managed quite well without it!

Rambam in MN3:31

"THERE are persons who find it difficult to give a reason for any of the
commandments, and consider it right to assume that the commandments and
prohibitions have no rational basis whatever. They are led to adopt this
theory by a certain disease in their soul, the existence of which they
perceive, but which they are unable to discuss or to describe. For they
imagine that these precepts, if they were useful in any respect, and were
commanded because of their usefulness, would seem to originate in the
thought and reason of some intelligent being."

See the better translations for stronger impact but note "They are led to
adopt this theory by a certain disease in their soul" which is quite strong
language. Rationalism is what Torah teaches as opposed to superstition and
idolatry which apparently is still prevalent. Re the Talmudic quotes, you
have a kashya. I think there is an answer that is based on the knowledge of
the times but it is a long discussion and I have not worked out all the
cases and issues. "Fun a kashya shtarbt men nisht" applies here.

David Guttmann

If you agree that Believing is Knowing, join me in the search for Knowledge
at http://yediah.blogspot.com/

Ve'izen vechiker (Kohelet 12:9) subscribe to Hakirah at www.hakirah.org