[Avodah] brisk/rshkop difference

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jan 7 18:36:45 PST 2008

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 10:08:01am -0800, Saul.Z.Newman at kp.org wrote:
: http://tinyurl.com/2abbhg on the nature of mitzva derabannan

(Link to a Divrei Chaim blog entry, by former Avodah regular, RCBrown.)

I recently refered to a blog entry of mine on the subject of whether
mitzvos derabanan make a chalos
<http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2007/07/safeiq-derabbanan.shtml>.

Speaking as someone who is such a RSShkop partisan that I consciously
avoided YU's more popular Brisker track in favor of Rav Shimon's talmid,
R' Dovid Lifshitz...

Brisker derekh keeps halakhah and philosophy separate. Kavanah is best
served by not keeping them separate. How much meaning does knowing it's a
chiyuv cheftzah add to my performance of a mitzvah? When learning Brisker
derekh, it is more difficult to answer the question "Does this makes me
a better Jew"?

I would go so far as to say that there is a common cause between the
rise of Brisker derekh to prominence and the shift from all the Isms
of pre-War Yahadus to the blander, more mitzvos anashim meilumadah,
observance of much of contemporary Orthodoxy.

Micha Berger             It is harder to eat the day before Yom Kippur
micha at aishdas.org        with the proper intent than to fast on Yom
http://www.aishdas.org   Kippur with that intent.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rabbi Israel Salanter