[Avodah] Chiyuv l'kabel gerim

Moshe Y. Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 20:25:06 PST 2008

R' YGB:
You call that Chazal? I call that Tanach!

Be that as it may, that was because they were assumed not to be megayer
l'shma. Vohs hoht dohs tzu tohn miht uhnz?

Yes, I call that Chazal, too.
In my experience speaking to Rabbanim who are/were Osek in Geirus (and I
invite the Rabbanim on-list to say their experiences) it is often very easy
to suspect a She'lo Lishma, even today. That apparently is one of the big
objections that some people have against the new group headed by R' Leib
Tropper which seeks to convert non-Jewish spouses of Jews. That said, I was
just bringing the Rambam as a data point, more than anything else.

If it is a Chiyuv to be Mekabel Geirim, why did Shammai not have a bit more
patience with the prospective Ger? True, he may have been rude or uncouth,
but perhaps Shammai could have educated him?

KT,
MYG