[Avodah] Fasting on Yom Kippur

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Thu Jan 3 15:45:12 PST 2008

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 09:40:08 -0700 Meir Shinnar
<chidekel at gmail.com> wrote:
>3) RDMI suggests that current medical practice, and especially
>obstetricians, are risk averse - and their level of risk assessment
>may not be halacha'.  As per my initial post, one of the halachic
>issues that needs to be determined is precise determination of what
>levels of risk are halachically acceptable.  However, being risk
>averse is one way of saying that one is machmir on pikuach nefesh,
>which has resonance in halachic terms.  Furthermore, to the extent
>that halacha, in the case of pregnancy, has agreed that physicians
>may detemine whether a particular case is risky - means that being
>machmir on fasting also  requires changing classical halachic
norms -
>as the norm of the average pregnant woman fasting and the norm of
>listening to physicians about the risk are in conflict...(you
can't go
>back home again)  - and the question is which norm one is more
willing
>to change..

I don't agree that "risk averse" is the same thing as "machmir on
pikuach nefesh," at least as I was using it.  I am suggesting that
doctors are giving advice in part based on how much it opens them
up for lawsuits, rather than on best medical judgement.  IOW, one
important criteria for deciding how to respond to a question is a
factor that has nothing to do with medicine.  Machmir on pikuach
nefesh means that we are choshesh for less likely dangers, but the
decision as to how dangerous a particular risk is still needs to be
made on the basis of best available medical information.

As far as the question of changing halachic norms, I would assume
(although I haven't looked in the sources, so I may be wrong) that
the reason we follow that doctors advice is because the halacha
assumes something about how doctors advise.  If my suggestion is
correct, then what has changed is not the metzius of the risk, but
the nature of doctors advice.  In this case, the halachic norm you
are referring to is no longer applicable.

I would compare it to asking a non-Jewish expert about a ta'am in a
mixture of kosher and non-kosher food: if for some reason we found
out that today's non-Jews don't answer this type of question
reliably, then we would presumably change our reliance on them.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu