[Avodah] geirim

AY & CB Walters acwalters at bluebottle.com
Sun Mar 30 12:59:37 PDT 2008

Someone wrote

> <<Indeed - ALL gerim are not going to be able to keep all the mitzvot at
> first - like a bar mitzvah.

But ain loimdim efsher m'shi efsher - the bar mitsve becomes a bar mitsveh
whether he's ready or not; the ger could wait

> The problem is that some batei dinim in Israel do indeed demand more of
> geirim
> than many orthodox Jews keep in practice

No-one objects to the fact that someone who wishes to become an American
citizen must do a lot more than most born Americans; he must speak English
(unlike native born Americans who don't have too), he must be free of
criminal record, he must swear to uphold the constitution etc. So why when
someone becomes a ger can we not expect more from him than a native?