[Avodah] R' Angel & Geirus Redux

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Thu Mar 27 02:52:34 PDT 2008

It seems clear from this letter of Rav Dovid Hoffman - that he also
views the ignorant as sinners who are degraded by their sins. The are
not viewed as innocent and blameless.

*Rav Dovid Hoffman[1] <#_ftn1>(Melamed l'Ho'il Orach Chaim 1:29):
Question: * In our minyan there are one or two people who openly violate
Shabbos …and they don’t even make kiddush or havdala. Is it permitted to
count them as part of the minyan? *Answer: *The Pri Megadim (# 55) and
Aishel Avraham (O.C. 55:4) write that a person who openly violates
Shabbos can not be counted as part of the minyan. This is also the view
of the Chacham Tzvi (#38). And even though it seems from the Sheilas
Yaavetz (1:49) that all sinners are counted for a minyan as long as they
haven’t been banned – nevertheless he doesn’t say explicitly that one
who openly violates Shabbos is included in the minyan. Perhaps he would
agree that they are not counted in the minyan. Furthermore the Netziv
(Meishiv Davar (#9) prohibits counting them in a minyan. The Magen
Avraham (O.C. 199:2) writes that a person who is openly wicked is not
counted in the group for berchas hamazon. I saw in the Rashban (#90)
that that is only for someone who sins in a rebellious manner to cause
anger and in our day sinning is not done to cause anger. This is a
strange explanation since  we know if the sin is done to cause anger for
any transgression they are not included as is stated by the Pri Megadim
(O.C. 55) cited before. It is also cited in this Rashban that since
 those who use violence have become common, we don’t have the power to
prevent a cohen such as this from performing the priestly blessing.
Mahari Assad (14:50) is quoted as saying that the Shabbos violators
today – as long testimony has not been given against them in beis din
while they are present that they have profaned Shabbos in the presence
of 10 Jews – wine is not prohibited by their touch. That is because
there are many achronim who say that the principle that a Shabbos
violator is considered as transgressing the entire Torah – is only by
rabbinic decree.  We can conclude from all these sources that according
to the letter of the law a person who openly violates Shabbos is not
counted as part of a minyan. However in modern times the practice is to
be lenient in this matter especially in Hungary and surely in Germany. I
remember that once a man who keeps his store open on Shabbos became a
mourner and he was one of the members of our congregation Adas Yisroel.
He went to lead prayers in our synagogue – however the gabbai knew how
to placate him and persuade him not to lead the prayers because the
congregation would have protested against this. This man then went to a
different synagogue and even though the gabbai of that synagogue is an
observant G‑d fearing man – he allowed this mourner to lead the prayers.
When I asked the gabbai why he didn’t stop him he replied that it was a
long standing practice not to prevent those who keep their stores open
on Shabbos from leading prayers. Since the rabbis of that place were
distinguished and yet they didn’t protest against this minhag- they
obviously knew how to justify this practice. Perhaps they relied on the
view of the Binyan Tzion (#23) who writes “Shabbos violators in our time
are considered a little as tinok sheniba amongst the non‑Jews. That is
because due to our many sins the majority of Jews in our country are
Shabbos violators. Their transgressing of Shabbos is not meant as a
rejection of fundamental principles of our faith.” I was also told in
the name of the Sho’el u’Meishiv that Jews from America are not
disqualified because of their Shabbos violation because they are like
tinok shenishba amongst the non‑Jews. I also found similar
justifications to be lenient in the comments of R’ Akiva Eiger (Y. D.
264).  However look at the Pri Megadim and Sefer Chasidim (#668) …
Anyway someone  who wants to be lenient and count these Shabbos
violators in the minyan has authorities to rely on. However if you can
go to another synagogue, without causing embarrassment, it is obviously
better than relying on this hetair and you will be able to pray with
virtuous men. There is also another factor for being lenient because in
our days it is not called violating Shabbos publicly since most people
are Shabbos violators. To view their actions as indicative of a degraded
state would make sense only if the majority of Jews were virtuous and
the minority were arrogant in violating this prohibition. Then they
would be rejecting the Torah by their Shabbos violations and proudly
acting in a degenerate manner as well as separating themselves from the
Jewish people.  However since due to our many sins the majority of Jews
are transgressors, they are benefiting from their degradation and the
individual thinks that he is not doing such a great sin and feels no
need to violate Shabbos in secret. Therefore his public violations are
equivalent to private violations in previous generations. In fact it is
the religious who are called today the ones who are different while the
transgressors view their behavior as normative. **

[1] <#_ftnref1>  *מלמד להועיל (אורח חיים א:כט):* *שאלה*: במנין שלנו יש
אחד או שנים שמחללים שבת בפרהסיא לא לבד במלאכתם כי אם גם עושים מוגמר,
ואפילו קידוש והבדלה אינם עושים, אי שרו לצרפם למנין.  *תשובה*: הפרמ"ג סי'
נ"ה באשל אברהם (או"ח נה:ד) כ' דמחלל שבת בפרהסיא אין מצרפין למנין. וכ"כ
בתשו' חכם צבי סי' ל"ח, ואף דבשאילת יעבץ (א:מט) משמע דכל עבריין מצרפין
למנין כל זמן שלא נידוהו מ"מ לא כתב בפירוש דגם מחלל שבת בפהרסיא מצרפין
ואפשר דמודה בזה דאין מצרפין. ועיין מ"ש לענין זה בשו"ת משיב דבר (סי' ט)
שאוסר. וכ' המג"א (או"ח קצט:ב) מי שהוא רשע בפרהסיא אין מזמנין עליו.
 וראיתי בשו"ת רשב"ן (סי' צ') שהביא בשם שו"ת דורש לציון דזה דוקא במומר
להכעיס ובימינו אין עושין להכעיס (וע' שו"ת רשב"ן סי' ס"ז) ותמוה דלהכעיס
אפילו בא' משאר עבירות אין מצרפין אותו כמבואר בפרמ"ג הנ"ל (או"ח סי' נ"ה),
גם הביא שם בשו"ת רשב"ן בשם ליקוטי חבר (חלק ה' דף ק"ז) שאחרי שגברו בעלי
זרוע אין כח בידינו להוריד כהן כזה אם עולה לדוכן. וע"ש עוד סי' קל"ט תשובה
מהרה"ג מו"ה חיים צבי מאנהיימער זצ"ל, ושם הביא ג"כ שו"ת מהר"י אסאד י"ד
סי' נ' שמחללי שבתות בזמנינו כ"ז שלא העידו עליהם בפניהם ובפני הב"ד שחללו
בפני י' מישראל אין אוסרים יין במגעם, שיש הרבה אחרונים סוברים דהא דמומר
לחלל שבת הוי מומר לכל התורה הוא רק מדרבנן עיי"ש בשו"ת יהודה יעלה. היוצא
מכל הנ"ל שעפ"י דין מחלל שבת בפרהסיא אין מצטרף למנין, אך בזמן הזה נוהגין
להקל אף בארץ אונגארן ומכש"כ בארץ אשכנז. וזכורני שפעם אחת אירע אבילות
לאיש אחד שחנותו פתוח בשבת, והוא אחד מבעלי בתים של קהלתנו, קהל עדת ישראל,
וירד לפני התיבה בבית הכנסת של קהלתנו, אך הגבאי ידע לרצות אותו ולפייסו
שלא ירד עוד מפני שהקהל ירננו על זה, ואח"כ הלך זה האיש לביהכ"נ של חברת
ש"ס, ואף שהגבאי דשם היה איש חרד ויר"א, הניחו לירד לפני התיבה בלי מניעה,
וכאשר שאלתי את הגבאי למה לא מנעו, אמר לי שכן הוא ג"כ מנהג מימים קדמונים
בבית המדרש דפה שאין מונעין מלירד לפני התיבה האנשים שמסחרם פתוח בשבת,
וכיון שהרבנים דשם שהיו אנשי שם לא מיחו מסתמא היה טעמם ונימוקם עמם, ואפשר
שסמכו ע"ז מה שכתוב ג"כ בשו"ת בנין ציון (החדשות סי' כ"ג) שמחללי שבת
בזמנינו נחשבים קצת כתינוק שנשבה לבין הנכרים, מפני שבעוה"ר רוב ישראל
בארצנו מחללי שבת הם, ואין דעתם בזה לכפור בעיקרי אמונתנו עיי"ש, וכן הגיד
לי הרב מו"ה משולם זלמן הכהן ז"ל בשם הגאון בעל שואל ומשיב שכתב שהאנשים
מאמעריקא אינם נפסלים ע"י חילול שבת שלהם מפני שהם כתינוק שנשבה לבין
הנכרים. אח"כ מצאתי כעין זה בהגהות רע"א לי"ד סי' רס"ד ועיי"ש סברות להקל,
אבל ע' פמ"ג (א"ח סי' רפ"ב א"א ס"ק ז'), וע' ספר חסידים סי' תשס"ח (ואין לי
פנאי כעת לחפש תשובה זו דמיירי לענין גיטין בפנים בשו"ת שו"מ). יהי' איך
שיהי' המקיל לצרף אנשים כאלו למנין יש לו על מי שיסמוך, אך מי שיכול לילך
לבהכ"נ אחר בלי להכלים איש, פשיטא דמהיות טוב שלא יסמוך על היתר זה, ויתפלל
עם אנשים כשרים. עוד יש סניף להקל דבזמננו לא מיקרי מחלל שבת בפרהסיא, כיון
שרובן עושין כן, דבשלמא אם רוב ישראל זכאין, ומעטים מעיזים פניהם לעשות
איסור זה הרי הוא כופר בתורה ועושה תועבה ביד רמה ופורש עצמו מכלל ישראל,
אבל כיון דבעו"ה רובם פורצים הגדר תקנתם קלקלתם, היחיד חושב שאין זה עבירה
גדולה כל כך וא"צ לעשות בצנעה, ופרהסי' שלו כבצנעה, ואדרבה היראים קרואים
בזמננו פרושים ומובדלים, והפושעים הם ההולכים בדרך כל הארץ.