[Avodah] Sheva B'rochos

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Wed Mar 26 03:16:43 PDT 2008

Someone was kind enough to email me privately with the distinction of
b'rocho and simcha in the gemara kesuvos.
Actually, I learned it that way but even the rebbe used the term 3 day
sheva b'rochos while making the distinction
between b'rocho and simcha. That's why there are others who also
untechnically thought there was a situation of
a three day sheva b'rochos.

It reminds me of the distinction of saying the shehecheyanu either for
mitzva or hana'a. The famous example in the
gemara Pesachim is between the kohen and the father at the pidyan
haben. The shaila is who says the shehecheyanu?
The kohen or the father? The kohen has hana'a and the father has the
mitzvah. So eventually it is decided that the mitzvah
is more choshuv and therefore the father has the primary obligation.
Actually both are supposed to say it, but the father
says it in the presence of the kohen and paturs him (I may not be
exact there). Then the example is given of 2 people -- one
who has the lulav and the other eating a pomegranate. Both have the
obligation of making the shehecheyanu, so which one
takes precedence? The b'rocho over the lulav is mitzvah and the
b'rocho over the pomegranate is hana'a. Since the mitzva
is more choshuv, the lulav takes precedence and his brocho paturs the
person eating the pomegranate.

In both cases it is assumed that the person whose shehechyanu is
because of hana'a answers Amen with the proper thoughts.

Again, if any boki out there disagrees, please let me know.

ri