[Avodah] Niskatnu haDoros

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Wed Mar 26 02:19:48 PDT 2008

If someone tries to reopen questions because they consider the
codification an ossification that runs against the health of halakhah,
they have to start by restoring the Jews who were capable of playing
with those higher stakes, of being the giants on whose shoulders we
stand.

And, to look at the same thing from a very different angle... If someone
could find a throwback, someone with the mesiras nefesh of R' Yehudah's
generaion who lived among R' Papa and Abyei (to cite the people who
coined "nisaqtnu hadoros), we would call that a BG gadol mimenu
bechokhmah uveminyan.

Why is this "start" a requirement? Assumedly to "undo" the start of
codification, but philosophically I've always wondered why we didn't say
we'll follow the rules and let the chips fall where they may (i.e.
yiftach bdoro vs. declaring a need for a change due to yiftach)

KT
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.