[Avodah] Defining concern for the klal

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 24 06:39:10 PDT 2008

RJR wrote:
> And where do you see the pirud disappearing, or is this not a goal? (I'm
> reminded of a cartoon of a mathematical proof which ends in "and then
> there was a miracle" - perhaps in a way this describes a very basic
> philosophical issue - how much weight do we focus on the
> individual/micro halachik issues (the knife is not tamei) and say hkb"h
> will take care of the big picture and how much on the community/macro
> issues (yes you all gave tzedaka but we still need to feed the hungry))

Is there no chessed done by Os for non-Os? No 'hevra qadischa? No soup
kitchens? No chaplains and biqur 'holim services that include the non-Os? No
help in navigating the maze of doctors and hospitals for those in need for
them? No day schools that also take in not-yet-Os?

All of the above are done, as is also political and legal advocacy for Jews
and for the Jewish Land. You think that that is pirud? Sure, it ain't
perfect, but it is a lot better than if we were fighting for our rights
within a constraining system, which is exactly what happens when you force
all into a single umbrella structure. Tell me, is it easy to change funding
priorities at UJA-Federation? Can you get them to include Yesh residents with
no problem? 'Hareidim? Or is there a lot of politics in order to get just
little changes?

Plus, how about how one feels for the klal? Rav Yosef Chaim Sonnefeld is
rumored to have been spotted by his gabbai mumbling a prayer as secular
school children where marching through the streets. When prompted about it,
he, the zealous fighter, replied that they are Jewish children. You call that
pirud?

Sure, we can do a lot more to achieve unity, but organizational unity with
those whose behaviour unfortunately detracts from our mission does not
necessarily bring about (in fact, from my experience, likely hampers) unity.
--
Arie Folger
http://www.ariefolger.googlepages.com