[Avodah] half shekel

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Mar 23 16:34:45 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 02:36:51PM +0200, Michael Makovi wrote:
: Is it possible that perhaps, part of the leniency was because the coin
: wasn't itself an idol, but rather, a memorial to an idol? No one would
: ever actually bow down to a coin, AFAIK...

Many years, around this time of year, I would point out a problem with
the US $1 bill. On the back of the bill are the two faces of the seal
of President of the US. The obverse of the seal is the eye-and-pyramid,
an old Masonic symbol, chosen by Washington (a Mason). The all seeing
eye represents a Deistic model of god. A well designed universe, the
pyramid, with the eye disonnected fromit.

Quite easily arguable to be AZ.

(And so, if you need me to dispose of this AZ, just send me your $1
bills...)

But the same problem pertains. Slightly less so, as I don't think
too many people can identify the AZ, are interested in worshipping
this kind of deity, etc...

Micha Berger             A wise man is careful during the Purim banquet
micha at aishdas.org        about things most people don't watch even on
http://www.aishdas.org   Yom Kippur.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rabbi Israel Salanter