[Avodah] Defining concern for the klal

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Sat Mar 22 16:09:38 PDT 2008

In a concurrent thread, RMS raised the issue of how important we consider
Jewish unity to our 'avodat haShem. The stated implication was that we should
aim for unity through communal institutions, and avoid Austritt.

I must say that, having seen the disorderly American Jewish institutional
jungle, with, at the local level, a multitude of individual organizations
dedicated to narrow goals (a synagogue here, a hospital there, etc.), and the
much more unified approach in European kehillot (everything mostly rolled
into one), I find equating Jewish solidarity with organizational unity to be
a heap of nonsense. There is real beauty and power in the Jewish American
jungle, far superior to what we do in Jewish Europe.

Rav Hirsch was not less concerned about other Jews than the Würzburger Rav, he
surely loved them and felt dearly for them, as some of his writings attest.
Yet, that did not deter him for Austritt and it did not deter Austritt from
becoming (despite what many MO claim) the dominant American model. Yes, it is
the strict organizational separation between O and R/C that enables far
greater solidarity in the US. MO would not have existed if not for Austritt.

What passes for unity in Stockholm (an umbrela organization with an O and a
C/R synagogue, a rabbi and a "ra'bbai") would be unthinkable in 99% of MO
circles.

However, stricter separation has allowed all kinds of O, whether M or not so
M, to become more secure, by being in control of its religious destiny, by
being able to build a core social identity within the Jewish people, by being
able to fully dissociate itself from the eggrerious abuses of Judaism by the
mere fact that they are organizationally separate from the transgressors, and
by educating its children in O schools - where some non-O may be accepted,
but on the premise of them joining an O school.

It is within this more secure O that MO has blossomed, and precisely because
it isn't threatened by R/C, it can feel more for the klal.

That organizational separation does not equate ethnic separation can even be
gleaned rom the very name - both in Hebrew and in German - of the Austritt
communities. They were and still are called "Israelitische
Religionsgemeinschaft," IOW Jewish religion society. They weren't supplanting
the full kehillah, but rather creating a separate organization that would be
centered around religion and the religious experience. In Hebrew, it is even
more telling: Kehal 'Adat Yeshurun, or the community of *witnesses* *of*
*Israel*. They weren't the kehillah, though they had a kehillah. Rather, they
were the witnesses, who would guarantee, that if G"d forbid, everyone else in
their locality would completely forget what Judaism is all about, would
testify and bring the knowledge back in the public square.

By their very nature, as their names stress, they were to serve the larger
Jewish community.

Jewish unity isn't necessarily measured by whether we sit on the same board.
My concern for my fellow Jew might precisely preclude me from sitting on the
same board (it did prevent Rav Hildesheimer from joining the assimilationist
Alliance Israelite Universelle's board. For a long time he didn't even want
to be a member - until IIRC the Dreyfuss affair - and indeed RSRH didn't join
at all). However, how I treat such a Jew when in need, whether for welfare or
security, and how much I care for his spiritual well being, as i shown
through our qiruv efforts or the lack thereof, that is the true barometer of
unity.

I must cut this short, for I have to attend a board meeting ;-)
(no, really, I am going to sleep now)

Kol tuv,
--
Arie Folger