[Avodah] R' Angel & Geirus Redux

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Mon Mar 17 08:26:53 PDT 2008

R' Michael Makovi wrote:
>>  I wrote:
>> *R' Angel* is not concerned with whether they are committed to keep the
>>  entire Torah. He stated the following in an interview published in
>>  Forward November 2007
>>

> Rabbi Berkovits characterized it as an eit la'asot lashem, dropping
> the law of gerut in favor of unity of Am Yisrael. Not that I'm an
> expert, but he has me convinced.

If I understand you properly, R' Berkovitz argues that whenever the
Torah laws become difficult to keep they should be simply abrogated
because of ais la'asos. According to this if we are prepared to have
Israel populated by "make believe" Jews for the sake of "Jewish unity"
we should also do away with the problem of aguna and mamzerim by saying
these halachos are no longer of concern because it interferes with
Jewish unity. Shabbos is also a problem. Hilchos nidda and kashrus are
also divisive laws.

Daniel Eidensohn