[Avodah] history

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 20:42:12 PST 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Michael Makovi <mikewinddale at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Now, I wonder, to what extent did Chazal realize when they were being
> anachronistic? Is that they didn't care about historical accuracy, but
> nevertheless knew when they were being anachronistic, or did they
> genuinely lack a real historical sense b'klal? Now, since ancient
> people in general were less historically critical than we are
> nowadays, my question boils down to : given Chazal had less critical
> historical sense than we do, to what qualitative sense was this the
> case, between 0 and 100 percent of ours.
>
> Mikha'el Makovi

When I was a young boy and the old Jews learned Gmara in Yiddish they had a
little ssmile when they read Hazal's like this.  IMHO they wer clsoe to the
history of HOW TO LEARN HAZAL! that is be ready to keep one's tongue planted
in one's check [at least at  times]

I think Westerners [including Americans and yes English and Germans] take
Hazal-isms much too literally.  let's face it - Westerners simply don't get
that Middle Eastern mindset.  {That's why I like Tosafos so much, they were
very Westernized and I can relate to them much better.]

Perhasp the Talmud should have had emoticons!  :->

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com