[Avodah] history

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 07:46:34 PST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 4:56 AM, Eli Turkel <eliturkel at gmail.com> wrote:

> > This whole attitude is so a-historical as to be disturbing
>
> And Tosfos about Pinchas, Eliyahu, and Beis Hakvaros?
>
> We have discussed before that chazal have a tendency to identify
> together people who seem to have nothing in common. In many cases it
> makes people hundreds of years old or on the contrary had children
> very early when there is no reason in pshat for this. In fact by
> Eliyahu and many other such cases there are other sources that dispute
> these connects. Hence, some explain that these people had
> characteristics in common or were a gilgul of one another etc.
>
> As MYG points out one difficulty is when the gemara or rishonim try
> and learn halachot from these identifications.
>
> --
> Eli Turkel

Eduyos 8:7

HLMM she'ein eliyahu bo letamei ultaheir

   1. Did  Moshe Rabbeinu know about Eliyahu Hanavi coming beefore
   Moshiach?
   2. Did he know he would live until Moshiach's timea/
   3. Did he know that Pinchas was Eliyahu?
   4. Why din't Moshe Rabbeinu Pray taht he himslf would live via fiery
   chariot to explain all the halachos of Tum'a nad Taharah?  Why did concede
   this to eliyahu w/o protest?
   5. If you'll answer it was time for yeshoshua to rule, same for
   Eliyahu, it was time for Elisha but he still di NOT need to die!  So Moshe
   Rabbeinu could have lived like Eliyahu andd simply dropped out of sight!

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com