[Avodah] Maasar Rishon

Galsaba at aol.com Galsaba at aol.com
Sun Mar 2 04:52:31 PST 2008

Reading Babba Metzia I am not sure what the rules are for Maasar Rishon.
1. Maasar Rishon should be given to the Levi. As Cohen is also Levi, does he
get Maasar Rishon as well?
2. When Ezra came to Eretz Israel he gave a penalty to the Leviyim. What was
this penalty? Did he decide NOT to give Maasar to the Levy, but instead to
give to the Cohen? or to give both.
If this was the case how could he be OKER mitzva deorayta?

Reading Beith Habechira LeMeiri, Babba Metzia Daf 11, Amud 1, it looks like
there are two opinions.
But reading other sources (Rmabam and others) I understood that he did not
give the Levi, but to the Cohen instead.

Thanks

galsaba

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)