[Avodah] Girl Scout cookies

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Feb 27 15:09:08 PST 2008

On Wed, February 27, 2008 1:53 am, R Daniel Israel wrote:
: First of all, AFAIK (as someone else mentioned), bitul only occurs
: when there is a davar issur involved.  Second, we don't do bitul
: intentionally.  For both of these reasons the cookie is dairy, and
: can't be eaten after meat.

The gemara has many examples of bitul WRT basar vechalav, so I guess
you mean then the result is a davar assur. But I believe that's not
true either.

Second, intent only applies if the person doing the mixing is subject
to the issur. A nachri mixing basar bechalav, or operating a machine
that does so, wouldn't count as trying to perform bitul lechat-chilah,
and AFAIK, would work. (I'm talking chalos, not whether doing it is
assur.)

To second RnTK's comment... I do not know why people assume that <2%
necessarily implies <1.66% (1/60 displayed to 3 digits lechumrah). US
companies have a vested interest in getting something unpleasant under
the legal limit for reporting, 2%. I therefore think it's possible
many products have ingredients at the 1.9% mark or so.

And BTW, the OU found that people didn't know what to do with (U)-DE
and now just call it milchig.

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."