[Avodah] Hot Cheese for Shabbat Lunch

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Feb 22 09:52:47 PST 2008

On Fri, February 15, 2008 2:57 pm, R Zev Sero wrote:
: And yet Rebbi did not have hot food on Shabbos....

I am not sure this is true. All we see from the story of Antoninus and
Rebbe (the Bereishis Rabba 11:4 version) is that this particular dish
happened not to be served hot on Shabbos. The gemara's version
(Shabbos 119a) has R' Yehoshua ben Chanania and a different ending).

I highly recommend
<http://www.vbm-torah.org/archive/undhalak/06undh.htm> for R' Ezra
Bick's discussion of Shabbos's mitzvos of kavod and oneg and of hot
food on Shabbos.

I think this conversation went off on a tangent rather than discussing
whether cheese makes it a davar lach because people had instinctive
"kavod Shabbos" reactions to the concept of mac-n-cheese. I wonder if
you had called it pasta con formaggi if the conversation would have
gone more on the intended course.

But in any case, kavos Shabbos is a third element to bring into the
list. Unlike kavod vs oneg, it's an adjective on Shabbos, not the
shomeir.

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."