[Avodah] Simchah and Oneg

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Feb 21 20:39:37 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:34:16AM -0500, Jesse Abelman wrote:
:     Why do you say that Simcha "has a codified non-subjective definition?"

Only because of the point to which I was responding: the chiyuv of meat
on Yom Tov (whether including chullin, only including it derabbanan or not
at all) phrased as simchas YT that doesn't have a parallel for Shabbos.

The subjectivity could also be explained by the distinction between
visiting the King and hosting Him. When hosting, one has more autnonomy;
when a guest, one followed the Host's lead.

BTW, in Hil' Megilah veChanukah 3:6, the Rambam implictly associates
Hallel with simchah. He rules out Hallel on Yamim Noraim because they are
days of yir'ah, not simchah yeseirah. (I'm not sure what RAEK would say
to that; since he holds that yir'ah is the key to simchah.) And in Hil'
YT 6:17-18 he writes about simchas YT and the obligation to eat meat
and drink wine. And he includes Pesach, Sukkos and other yamim tovim --
belashon rabbim. One is Shavuos, but if RH isn't a yom simchah, what's
the other candidate? Would seem that there is simchah, just not simchah
yeseirah.

Since RH has no shelamim, the Rambam's simchah of meat of Hil YT pereq
6 must be basar chulin. Which would make the deOraisa equally applicable
today.

Unlike Tosafos.

And in benching, if someone forgets Yaaleh veYavo, they say "Barukh
shenasan YT ... lesimchah". Same formula for regalim as for RH, perhaps
implying that we hold like the Rambam lehalakhah, and thus basar bizman
hazeh is deOraisa?

: Shaagat Aryeh (I think around siman 65, though I'm not sure about that) has
: an interesting discussion of exactly what the mitzvah of simchat Yom Tov is,
: specifically in the context of a refutation of the contention of Tosfot
: (Moed Katan 13b) that the mitzvah of simcha, post-Mikdash, is d'rabanan.  It
: is a long piece, and not entirely compelling for a few reasons, but one of
: his conclusions is that the mitzvah is essentially subjective, that whatever
: it is that makes you feel happy is what you should do on Yom Tov....

But even if we say like Tosafos, that the deOraisa is shelamim and
therefore simchas YT today is derabbanan (and excludes RH), they still
have a derabbanan to have meat on YT that doesn't exist on Shabbos.
How does the Shaagas Aryeih use that very Tosafos to say that the choice
of meat is simply presumed as one anyone would make -- but in reality
it's subjective?

Micha Berger             The fittingness of your matzos [for the seder]
micha at aishdas.org        isn't complete with being careful in the laws
http://www.aishdas.org   of Passover. One must also be very careful in
Fax: (270) 514-1507      the laws of business.    - Rabbi Israel Salanter