[Avodah] Sefer HaChinuch on why 2 weeks Nidah for a girl and only 1 for a boy

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Feb 14 12:21:05 PST 2008

From: Gershon Seif _gershonseif at yahoo.com_ (mailto:gershonseif at yahoo.com)

>>Anyone  ever see what the Sefer HaChinuch writes about why women who give
birth to a boy  are in Nidah for a week but for a girl it's 2 weeks?....

....The problem  is that he then quotes a Ramban and says that this is
exactly what the Ramban is  saying too..... Are we left saying the Ramban got it
wrong? Or he meant  something else and we don't understand? Or the chinuch had a
different approach  to learning Ramban? <<

I just don't understand this whole tzimmes.   What's the big deal about
saying Ramban might have been wrong about  something?  There are plenty of times
that other meforshim disagree with  Ramban about this and that.

This particular question is moot anyway because no modern woman bleeds  for
only a week after the birth of a baby.  The norm is several  weeks.

Some people think that if you say Chazal or Ramban or the Sefer Hachinuch
were wrong about some scientific fact, then you are being disrespectful to
them.  I was raised with a completely different understanding and a  different
attitude.  I would add that if they did refer to the highest  standards of
scientific knowledge of their own time, that is a siman that we,  too, should follow
their example and apply the highest standards of scientific  knowledge of our
time.  Who was it who said, "Chachma bagoyim  ta'amin"?  Not some modern
maskil or Reform rabbi.

--Toby  Katz

Awards. Go to AOL Music.