[Avodah] The influence of Nusach Sefard on Nusach Ashkenaz

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 11:24:28 PST 2008

On Feb 10, 2008 6:58 AM, kennethgmiller at juno.com <kennethgmiller at juno.com>
wrote:

> You might be correct, but I hope not. It is one thing for non-Chassidim to
> Chassidize themselves with minhagim like wearing a kittel at the wedding, or
> having an upsheren at age three. But to abandon a possible d'Oraisa like
> tefilin? I shudder at the thought.
>
> I would prefer to believe that it was a different route which caused this
> change. Namely, the GRA's minhag (as you wrote), which then became the
> universal Minhag Eretz Yisrael, and then spread to those who went to learn
> there, either for a short time, or a long time, or permanently.
>
> Some evidence for my guess might be gathered by comparing how many men
> skip Tefilin on Chol Hamoed, and how many skip Baruch Hashem L'Olam at
> Maariv. I would hope that the great majority of Ashkenazim either do both or
> do neither. And that if anyone changed, they did it only after consulting
> with their rav.
>
> Akiva Miller

FWIW I agree mostly with your assessment.
Tanegntially since minhag avos was throwrn out with regard to Baruch Hashem
l'olam and Tefilln on Hulo shel Moed, why bother keeping it with Kitniyyos?

Or iow by what criteria did SOME minhag ashkenaz survive the assaults of
Hassidism as well as the followers of the GRA and not otherwise?

At least for the most part [excpet probably for the innovation of  dancing
on Simchas Torah] Yekkes are pretty consistent.

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com