[Avodah] Why Jewish Women should NOT wear a Burka

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 07:27:01 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 12:19 -0500, Micha Berger wrote:
> I would suggest that the story highlights the fact that the word
> tzeni'us has two meanings. Originally, it referred to not calling
> undue attention to oneself, trying to avoid the spotlight. Because sex
> is such an attention getter, that grew to include covering ervah. But
> whether or not my suggestion that covering ervah is a derived, non
> primary meaning of the word, the basic point stands: not drawing
> attention to oneself and covering ervah are distinct ideas, both
> called tzeni'us.
>
> Here is a case where people go to such extent to cover ervah that they
> do draw undue attention to themselves. Ironically, by being tzanu'os,
> they are violating tzeni'us (switching meanings of the word
> midsentence).

I doubt that the word tzeni'ut has two meanings. More likely, covering
erva is only tzeni'ut to the extent that it eliminates an
attention-getter. Once the covering would becomes an attention getter in
and of itself, it would no longer be tzeni'ut in *any* sense of the
word. Does this seem more correct?

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/