[Avodah] Does God Change His Mind?

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 01:04:31 PST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 2:53 AM, Richard Wolberg <cantorwolberg at cox.net> wrote:
> M.M. wrote:
> Rav Berkovits explicitly says in G-d Man and History that Hashem
> actually did experience that emotion; He does NOT act "as if" angry,
> but rather, He actually is angry.
>
> This (as many other similarities) is anthropomorphic. Not grasping
> anthropomorphisms,
> as well as metaphors can and do lead to faulty conclusions. The old adage
> "The more
> you know, the more you realize you don't know" is a good one to remember (as
> well as
> the converse).
> ri

I guess I don't see the problem. Rather, the negative attributes
approach seems to make Hashem into an automaton with no personality.
If Hashem really does get angry when we sin, nu? It's not a change in
His essence, it's merely a change in how He considers us, according to
our deeds. If a change in our behavior causes a change in G-d's
response, nu? What's the problem? His essence for sure cannot change,
but His essence is not in question here.

(I think I also like Rabbi Berkovits's approach because it was what I
was already thinking before I read his book.)

So I fail to see the theological problem with Rabbi Berkovits's
approach; adarabba, the negative attributes approach strips Hashem of
personality and moreover seems to be based on Aristotelian and
Muslim-Aristotelian philosophy, with no Torah basis that I know of.
(It already seems apparent to me from Kuzari that his emphasis on the
Divine flow is merely the Aristotelian notion except modified so that
it is for Jews only, and results from prayer and deeds rather than
intellect; but the basic idea behind it, and the very fact that it is
given so much prominence, seems an apologetic attempt at kashering the
Aristotelian notion.)

Mikha'el Makovi