[Avodah] [Areivim] Polygamy

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Feb 7 15:29:55 PST 2008

R' Joel Rich:
:> Seems logical but is there any discussion of how and who to make
:> such
:> a determination - especially since it seems assumedly chazal made
:> these based on their corner of the world and on anecdotal evidence
:> (e.g. how did Sanhedrin determine whether rov hatzibbur would accept
:> a gzeirah?)

RMYG:
: I thought that that was after the fact. I believe an example of this
: is, IIRC, Tevillas Ezra.

RJR, post #2:
: I believe it is both - see Rambam Mamrim 2:5

Mamrim pereq 2 also asserts that minhagim start with the beis din,
whereas most teach that minhagim are from the ground up and only
afterwards ratified through rabbinic approval. It is unclear to me
that we necessarily hold like the Rambam WRT the scope of beis din's
role in creating practice. It could be that here too the Rambam
assigns a greater role than others would.

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."