[Avodah] [Areivim] Polygamy

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Feb 7 15:24:47 PST 2008

I just sent:
: Gezeiros based on mistakes still stand. Their authority is not about
: correctness, but of the legislative power of Sanhedrin.

Since the post to which I replied was posted, the subject of chalav
yisrael butter came up. The same question: pesaq vs gezeirah with
included explanation, unexplained gezeira, arises here too. For that
matter, permitting chalav hacompanies requires believing it was one of
the first two categories, and thus the gezeira wouldn't apply to USDA
milk.

And in the reverse, whether a mistake in not including them in the
gezeira makes them mutar even after our knowledge of the realia
changed.

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."