[Avodah] Mussar

Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer rygb at aishdas.org
Thu Feb 7 13:07:02 PST 2008

Micha Berger wrote:
> However, this email was one section after more than *50* posts of bein
> adam lachaveiro. Yes, yir'as Hashem is important, but I didn't deem
> the role as a defining one in Mussar, given the relative space given
> it in Or Yisrael (RYS), Or Rashaz (Kelm) Madreigas haAdam (Novhardok)
> or Or haTzafun (Slabodka). Or, for that matter, the aforementioned ThM
> or later, RSW's Alei Shur.

Dunno. The paragraph you cited makes the idea pretty central. I don't
think relative space allocated is a measure of centrality.
> BTW, I disagree with RYGB's description of yir'ah. The Ramchal makes a
> chiluq between yir'as ha'onesh and yir'as Hashem, and within the
> latter, between yir'as hacheit and yir'as haromemus. My point of
> disagreement is with RYGB's calling "yir'as ha'onesh" a kind of
> "yir'as Hashem"
It is Yiras Hashem to the extent that a reality check - a spiritual
reality check, a cognizance of "/l'ahn atah holeich/" - is Yiras Hashem.
I would say it is something along these lines.

KT, GC,
YGB