[Avodah] Not Making Kiddush Between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Sholom Simon sholom at aishdas.org
Wed Feb 6 08:55:31 PST 2008

> What I have never understood is why this is a 60 minute hour and the
> time is based on the "secular" clock. To the best of my knowledge,
> the 60 minute hour is not "generic" to Halacha. The times of the day
> are based on Shaos Z'manios. So why aren't Shaos Z'manios used in the
> determination of what between 6 and 7 means, rather than secular
> time.

I don't know the actual reason, but I could posit one that seems intuitive
to me.  The Shaos Z'manios are based on the sun.  But this "influence" of
various planets are not.  If we go by the stars (ignore that these planets
are not what we call stars today) it makes more sense to use a fixed hour
than a solar-type hour.

But on my question, we digres . . . . <g>

-- Sholom