[Avodah] The influence of Nusach Sefard on Nusach Ashkenaz

Prof. Levine Larry.Levine at stevens.edu
Wed Feb 6 07:58:28 PST 2008

At 09:57 AM 2/6/2008, you wrote:

>Two things that I see as areas where N"S has influenced N"A;
>
>Not wearing Tefillin on Chol HaMoed all together, taking the tefillin off
>before Musaf on Rosh Chodesh.
>
>Having more than one person say kaddish at the same time.

I daven Nusach Ashkenaz and I put on Tefillin on Chol Moed, although
without a brocha.  This was the almost universal custom in Chutz
L'Aretz, as far as I know. I know that the GRA and his followers did
not put on Tefillin on Chol Moed. There may be some others. However,
today, due to the Chassidization of Yiddishkeit, there are a number
of people who have stopped putting on Tefillin during Chol Moed. Part
of the reason may be that if one davens in a place where most do not
put them on, then one feels uncomfortable about putting them on. (I
am talking about a place where people do not put on Tefillin, but
they allow some to do this.) Another reason may be sheer "laziness."
It is easier not to put them on during Chol Moed.

I was told that in the Telz yeshiva in Cleveland, anyone who did not
wear Tefillin during Chol Moed could not daven in the BM!

I heard Rabbi Bamberger of Sherushei Minhag Ashkenaz fame say at a
talk that in the time of the Rishonim many did wear Tefillin during
Musaf of RH. He said that the custom of taking them off before Musaf
stems from the fact that the some places say Keser during kedusha and
that one should not have two crowns.

There are still places where only one person says Kaddish. For
example, at KAJ in Manhattan. My understanding is that the saying of
kaddish by more than one person came about as a way of avoiding
fights over who should say a given kaddish.  Where I daven the
instituted a new thing about a year ago. All of those saying kaddish
go to the Shulchan and say kaddish together. Rav P. M. Teitz
instituted that all mourners should come to the front of the shul
when they say kaddish. He did this some time between 1968 and 1974,
while I was living in Elizabeth, NJ.