[Avodah] Classes to men by women

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 07:18:01 PST 2008

> [3 Hesder soldiers] Locked up for 21 days because they refuse to attend training courses given
> by women.

I'm not well learned in those halachot, but is this assur? I recall
there being on Areivim recently a thing about Rabbi Riskin being put
in cherem for having Nechama Leibowitz teach classes in his yeshiva;
Rav Ovadia Yosef said put her behind a mechitza, but the implication
was that Rabbi Riskin thought this wasn't necessary.

Perhaps I am wrong in this case, but most Hesder students are more MO
than Charedi, so I would think they would be willing to learn from
women at least bedieved, certainly in a case of great need (I think
avoiding jail qualifies as need, no?).

Mikha'el Makovi