[Avodah] Why Jewish Women should NOT wear a Burka (or equivalent)

Shoshana L. Boublil toramada at bezeqint.net
Tue Feb 5 12:06:13 PST 2008

Kulam Chachamim; Kulam Nevonim etc..  That's probably the reason that this
issue hasn't been discussed (AFAIK) on Avodah.

I would greatly appreciate it if the membership, which includes many
Talmidei Chachamim, would spend some time on discussing the various reasons
why wearing a Burka (or equivalent) is NOT appropriate for a Jewish woman.

Issues like "Bal Tosif"; the true meaning of Tzni'ut; Chukot HaGoyim and
other relevant issues could be discussed.

The reason I'm asking is that while the answer is obvious to the Talmidei
Chachamim here, many others don't realize that there are problems with this
issue -- and what they are.

As Avodah is publicly available, this would make the material also available
to other women who are asking this question and aren't getting answers.

A more detailed article can be found at (as suggested by R' Aryeh Stein):

http://www.thejc.com/home.aspx?ParentId=m11&SecId=11&AId=57786&ATypeId=1

and a response:

http://www.thejc.com/home.aspx?ParentId=m12&SecId=12&AId=57829&ATypeId=1

IMHO, when issues like this fall by the wayside without appropriate halachic
and hashkafic reaction, many women may fall into the false belief that such
behavior (and similar) are actually not only good - but recommended.

Please respond.

Thank you.

Shoshana L. Boublil