[Avodah] Ramp On!

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Tue Feb 5 11:15:36 PST 2008

R' Micha Berger asked:

> Why not allow the handicapped kohein serve, and use it as
> an opportunity to teach the idea that ...
> The fact is that HQBH didn't choose to symbolize this
> message, but rather bowed to the least common denominator
> of people's perceptions of the handicapped. And so, I
> repeat, that it is not obvious why.

Here is a partial guess, which I hope other might build upon:

Not every event is intended as an educational experience. IIRC, the requirement for a lack of mumim is often explained in terms of how distracting they are to the onlookers. Sometimes the experience should just be a simple emotional high, such as when everything runs smoothly and beautifully, without the distractions of something which is unattractive to the eye.

Yes, Torah could have allowed the baal mum to participate, to teach us NOT to consider him unattractive, but if every ritual in Judaism was designed to teach us some sort of lesson, (i dunno, someone else finish the sentence).

Akiva Miller