[Avodah] Diberah Torah

hlampel at koshernet.com hlampel at koshernet.com
Mon Jan 28 16:51:50 PST 2008

Re: Diberah Torah (Zvi Lampel)

RMB wrote:

On Fri, January 25, 2008 12:23 pm,
hlampel at koshernet.com wrote:
: But the Rambam, for instance, said that this is the
meaning of what
Chazal said. For example, Moreh Nevuchim (1:26):

: CHAPTER XXVI
: You, no doubt, know their saying, which encompasses
: all the various kinds of interpretation connected to
: this area. namely what they said: "The Torah speaks
: according to the language of man."? This implies that
: expressions that can easily be comprehended and
: understood by all at first thought, are necessarily
: associated to the Alm-ghty, yis-aleh...

RMB: I think we would both agree the Rambam is talking
about idiom, not metaphor.

ZL: Yes.
======================
RMB: Yes, that does imply an underlying concept
lying beneath R'Yishma'el's objection to R' Aqiva's
"doreish tagin".

ZL: Glad we're still agreeing.
========================
RMB: But still it doesn't make it broad enough to
include many of the
things the phrase has been used to justify both here
and in print in
the last few decades.

ZL: Sorry, I must have missed the use you're
referring to and discounting. Can you give some examples?
=========================
RMB: The idea is still to look at the meaning of
a phrase, not the mechanics of the words used.

ZL: "Mechanics of the words used"? I don't know what
you mean. Sorry again if I entered the discussion out
of context.
RMB: And nothing about going beyond that
meaning to hidden meanings. (If anything, it might
imply the reverse!)

ZL: I've lost you, both reverse and forward.

Zvi Lampel