[Avodah] Binfol oyivkha al tismach?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jan 28 09:21:49 PST 2008

On Mon, January 28, 2008 6:47 am, R Michael Makovi wrote:
: Well, we see that we definitely sang Shirat haYam. So apparently, we
: are allowed to sin over mamash enemies.

And yet Pesiqta deR' Kahane tells us to take our lead from the
mal'akhim, and this is why we do not say full hallel on the
anniversary of the day. Also a hava amina in the gemara, which is not
rejected on grounds of the rejoicing being appropriate.

Rather than replay a thread that ran from before Pesach until July,
I'll point you to the summary of my conclusions from that thread at
<http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2007/07/compassion-for-our-enemies.shtml>.

Skipping all the sources, my maskanah:
> Here, the balance must be struck between two verses: "when your enemy
> falls do not rejoice" (Mishlei 24:17) and "with the destruction of
> evil there are shouts of happiness" (11:10). The Zohar writes that
> the happiness is only when the destruction is to cure the evil, and
> therefore comes with their atonement. When they die because they are
> oyevim, enemies, who need to be eliminated to save the good rather
> than in the right time for their own sake, there is no joy. The
> gemara’s resolution (Sanherin 39b) is that while Hashem does not
> rejoice, He does call upon man to rejoice. However the Maharsha
> relates this back to the story of "the work of My 'Hands' is
> drowning
" One should rejoice at being the beneficiary of G-d's good,
> even while recognizing the loss necessary for you to obtain that.
> So why doesn't "mi shemeracheim al ha'achzarim... — one who is
> merciful to the cruel will in the end be cruel to the merciful"
> apply? Perhaps it is because we aren't talking about ignoring the
> very real need for their destruction. Unlike Sha'ul, who
> inappropriately saved Agag, we are not saying the Mitzriyim should
> have been spared. Rather, that it's sad that things had come to this.

> Someone who r"l needs to have a leg amputated should have it removed.
> He'll mourn its loss and the loss of everything he could have done
> with it, but will still give his okay for its removal. "Mi
> shemeracheim" is the doctor who lets the patient die because he had
> pity on the leg.

That said, I wonder about the applicability of "ba'avod resha'im rina"
when the rasha -- like George Habash y"sh, whose death cause the start
of the Areivim thread -- hadn't posed a threat in years. OT1H, his
death is not a yeshu'ah; Marxism isn't a popular goal for today's
Palestinians. OTOH, the chilul Hashem of a sonei Yisrael surviving has
ended.

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,