[Avodah] Why "This Time?"

Richard Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sun Jan 27 18:21:16 PST 2008

"And the man said: 'This time it is bone of my bones, and flesh of my
flesh; this shall be called Woman, because she was taken from man.'
" (2:23)

QUESTION: The words "zot hapa'am" — "this time" — seem superfluous?
Why is it used?

ANSWER: According to the Gemara (Niddah 31a), there are three partners
in the formation of man: Through Hashem, he receives a soul, through
the father the bones, nails, and brain, and through the mother, skin
and flesh. Adam emphasized that this time, and only this time, the
bone and the flesh both came all from the same Source.

ri