[Avodah] assisted suicide

Moshe Y. Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 09:48:18 PST 2008

R'n TK:
In the case of a person suffering from a terminal illness, the person who
opts for suicide is not just choosing one of two alternative deaths, he is
actually hastening his death.
R' Joel Rich: Me - Yet we know in certain circumstances one can pray for one
or another's death - why isn't this called hastening?

I recall seeing in Generation to Generation by R' Dr. Twerski that his
father refused medical treatment that might have prolonged his life a bit.
Where would that come in the equation? (The obvious difference is that it's
Shev V'al Taaseh.)

KT,
MYG