[Avodah] assisted suicide

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Fri Jan 25 05:50:17 PST 2008

	A talmid chacham of my acquaintance told me (when I asked) that
the people who jumped out of the World Trade Center rather than be
burned to death were not committing suicide or doing anything wrong --
that at the point of death, if you have a choice, you're allowed to
choose.  Say a killer gave his victim a choice of death by gun or by bow
and arrow -- the victim would be allowed to choose. It may be that
Shimshon was that close to death and chose to die in a way that would
bring down the Plishtim with him.
	ME-Interesting but where do we see this brought down lhalacha?
and how is the point of death defined (as actuaries say - we're all
terminal, it's just a question of when?

	In the case of a person suffering from a terminal illness, the
person who opts for suicide is not just choosing one of two alternative
deaths, he is actually hastening his death.
	Me- Yet we know in certain circumstances one can pray for one or
another's death - why isn't this called hastening?
	Anyway, bottom line, there is a huge difference between a person
saying,  "Please release me from my suffering, take my soul now" to a
physician -- and saying that same thing to his Creator.
	=================================
	Me- why?In fact couldn't one argue that the prayer to the
creator is more effective and thus more of a life shortner?
	KT
	Joel Rich
	=============================

	--Toby Katz
	=============

________________________________

	Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
AOL Music.
<http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp003
00000002548>

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.