[Avodah] assisted suicide

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Jan 24 16:11:06 PST 2008

From: Gershon Seif _gershonseif at yahoo.com_ (mailto:gershonseif at yahoo.com)

>>My  wife (who is a lobbyist for Agudah) was in Madison, WI yesterday to
join a long  list of people/organizations who came to voice their objection to a
proposed  bill to allow physician assisted suicide.

Some of the people who spoke in  favor of the bill tried to show how Shimshon
would have been in favor of  assisted suicide....

What are the basic chilukim between Shimshon's  situation and a person
suffering from a teminal illness, that would allow him to  do what he did, and yet
forbid assisted suicide?

My first hunch is that by Shimshon it was only a grama. And it might even  be
a safek, whereas what the assisted suicide wants to allow would be a vadai
and quite direct.<<

A talmid chacham of my acquaintance told me (when I asked) that the  people
who jumped out of the World Trade Center rather than be burned to death  were
not committing suicide or doing anything wrong -- that at the point of  death,
if you have a choice, you're allowed to choose.  Say a killer gave  his victim
a choice of death by gun or by bow and arrow -- the victim would be  allowed
to choose. It may be that Shimshon was that close to death and chose to  die
in a way that would bring down the Plishtim with him.

In the case of a person suffering from a terminal illness, the person who
opts for suicide is not just choosing one of two alternative deaths, he is
actually hastening his death.

In the case of Shimshon, your thought that it was only grama is actually  a
strong case, and here is an aspect that makes it even stronger:  his  "suicide"
depended completely on a nes occurring, he had no way bederech hateva  to
kill himself or to kill the Plishtim.  What he did might better be  compared to a
person praying for death, which I think all would agree is  mutar.  If Hashem
Himself steps in, then the person's death is literally an  Act of G-d --
which is what Shimshon's death was.

The reality is that physicians do actually often help people die but this  is
never official.  It will always go on but should not be codified in  law
because it makes it too official, almost as if the government is actually
encouraging people to hasten their end. In Holland many people who are  "assisted"
this way do not actually want to die and are not even close to  death, but have
been persuaded by others.  There have even been cases  where patients
specifically said they did not want to die but doctors signed at  the heirs' request
that the patient "really" wanted to die.   Pain  killers and anti-depressants
would be much better for them and would obviate  many "requests" to die -- but
the extra months or years in nursing homes would  be very expensive for the
govt and/or the heirs.

Anyway, bottom line, there is a huge difference between a person  saying,
"Please release me from my suffering, take my soul now" to a  physician -- and
saying that same thing to his Creator.

--Toby Katz
Romney -- good values,  good family, good hair
Best hope against  Hillary

48)