[Avodah] Fasting on YK

Chana Luntz chana at kolsassoon.org.uk
Thu Jan 24 15:15:22 PST 2008

> On Wed, January 23, 2008 8:27 am, chana at kolsassoon.org.uk wrote:
> :                                         That means that, cooking on
> : shabbas for the person who is already sufficiently sick is
> completely,
> : al pi halacha, mutar.  Going to get the food from the neighbour
> : therefore is a chumra, and we do not (at least according to RSZA)
> : impose a chumra in the case where it will cause tzar.
>
> Assuming, as you do, hutra. What if dechuyah?

Not necessarily me, but RSZA.  I agree it is more difficult to explain
RSZA if you say that it is dechuya.  After all, here there is a
neighbour with food.  To the choleh it does not matter whether the food
comes from the neighbour or you cook it in terms of doing what is best
for their illness.  If it is dechuya, how could you let the mere tzar of
the neighbour compete with an issur d'orisa of bishul?  I think you can
still get there, but it does mean a more expansive understanding of
dechuye than one might otherwise have thought.  It means on has to say,
if one is going to say, as RSZA says, that the tzar of the neighbour
allows you to then cook for the choleh, that the issur is sufficiently
pushed off the cook that (even if the cook is the same person as the
neighbour whose food might be used) the existence of available food from
elsewhere is not enough to re-establish the issur.

 I thought that
> was the whole nafqa mina of that machloqes. (I also thought
> that lema'aseh we're chosheshim that shabbos is only dechuyah.)

Of course if you do not use this expansive definition of dechuye, or you
reject this understanding, then it has even less applicability to the
husband and fasting wife.

> SheTir'u baTov!
> -micha

Regards