[Avodah] Cave or desert island

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jan 24 15:52:14 PST 2008

On Thu, January 24, 2008 4:06pm, R Doron Beckerman wrote:
: It may be true that the ultimate goal is to perfect society, but if
: the
: choice is living in a corrupt society and trying to influence them, or
: becoming a hermit/going to live in a cave for fear of them influencing
: you,
: the Rambam in 6th Perek of Hilchos Deos is very clear on which option
: to choose...

If the job is to perfect oneself, one can't choose to avoid sin by
accomplishing less.

Binyamin, Amram, Yishai and Kilav were great people, recorded in
Tanakh for all time as tzadiqim. But none of them are as commemorated
as the ushpizin, who did sin. We bless our kids to be like Ephraim and
Menasheh, not their uncle. Moshe and David are recognized as
surpassing their fathers, and Kilav is barely known -- and didn't get
the melukhah over his brother.