[Avodah] Pesel Micah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 23 18:39:49 PST 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 07:25:16AM -0800, Mordechai Goldstein wrote:
: Can someone tell me, the Pesel Micah, that went over by Krias Yam Suf,
: is this the same Pesel Micah in Shoftim?  In Shoftim it seems like a
: new thing.

According to Medrash Rabba, this Mikhah was saved by Moshe Rabbeinu from
being used as a brick in Pitom or Raamseis, when the Mitzriyim started
using infants to replace bricks when the Jews didn't make quota.

He then stole the parchment containing the words "alei shur" which Moshe
put into the river to make Yoseif's aron rise to the service. (According
to another MR, this river was NOT the Ye'or. The Mitzriyim hid the aron
in another river, a tributary to the main Nile, to try to keep us from
leaving -- since we would never break our promise to Yoseif. Mazal,
a/k/a Serach bas Asher, told Moshe where he could find the aron.)

In the days of the Eigel, he took out the klaf and threw it into the
fire with the gold, which is how the eigel was na'asah on its own.

He was the same Mikhah as Pesel Mikhah in Shofetim.

So, it's not a "new thing", but rather a new instance of an old thing.
But I never heard of an actual pesel crossing the Yam Suf.

Micha Berger             I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
micha at aishdas.org        I awoke and found that life was duty.
http://www.aishdas.org   I worked and, behold -- duty is joy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Rabindranath Tagore