[Avodah] "Zeh Keli v'anveihu Elokei avi va'arom'menhu"

Richard Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Tue Jan 22 02:23:49 PST 2008

When the Israelites saw that they had been rescued from Pharaoh's army
at the sea, they sang out with gratitude: "zeh Keli v'anveihu Elokei
avi va'arom'menhu" This is my God and I will glorify Him; the God of
my father and I will exalt Him.

There are several questions that come up here. What is the difference
between "...and I will glorify Him" and "...and I will exalt Him."  It
seems like a repetition. Onkelos, Rashi, Ibn Ezra and Ramban all agree
that since "v'anveihu" has as its root "naveh" which is a home
(dwelling place), its primary interpretation is "And I will build Him
a Sanctuary" [I will glorify Him]. It expresses Israel's longing to
build a Temple for God's Presence.
Also, although not apparent in translation, the verse uses two
different names of God. The first half of the verse uses the name
Keil, while the second half uses Elokim. Rav Kook explained the Song
refers to two types of love for God. The first is an innate love and
appreciation for God as our Creator and Provider. The word Kel is in
the singular, reflecting an appreciation for God as the only true
power and the ultimate reality of the universe. A second, higher form
of love for God is acquired through thoughtful contemplation of God's
rule of the universe. This love corresponds to the name Elokim - in
the plural - referring to the myriad causes and forces that God
utilizes to govern the universe.

I see it as the first half of the verse "Keil" (singular) referring to
God as the personal God (how each one of us perceive God). The second
half "Elokei" (plural) refers to how our parents perceived God. Each
generation must find God for itself.

ri